Sunday, May 8, 2011

My T-Mobile & Sidekick 4G escapades!




As the long time Sidekick user I am I went to my corporate T-Mobile store (less than 2 miles from where I live) to pickup a new Sidekick 4G on April 20th.

As you maybe already know the Sidekick is being advertised as being $99.99 as seen in the above picture, however part of that price is a $50 MIR (Mail In Rebate), and in the state I am in I have to pay sales tax on top of the full "suggested retail price" ($379.99) which was $35.14 then you have the upgrade or/and activation fees etc etc. So before you are "out-the-door" it is just under $200. 


I was however pleased and felt I got away with not too much when I (on April the 20th) paid $100.12 "out-the-door" and the rest split up over monthly (interest free) payments of $33.33 (which were to start after my 30-day remorse period was over). However since I am the only one of my family members who is with TMo still I was now on an individual plan (with a 2nd phone on another carrier in my other pocket for a number of reasons one being private vs business line & calls). So my $30 (data) & $39.99 (500 min voice) and insurance and other small taxes, fees, services made my monthly total to be in the $80-90 range (since insurance will be going up to $7.99 shortly). 

So since the new Sidekick was giving me a little shorter than I wanted/needed battery time. The Android ecosystem and OS was growing on me but yet had far from become "my own" and the monthly fees seemed to be a tad high for my needs. I started to consider other alternatives, and returned my Sidekick 4G on May 5th 2011.  T-Mobile's restocking fee policy is $10 and I feel that is more than fair. So my SK4G 2 year contract was reversed and my $90.12 ($100.12-$10 restocking fee) was refunded to me instantly.

I had in fact prior to this already ordered online a Samsung Galaxy Tab (refurbished) for $149.99 on T-Mobile website with two year contract and their then just released new $39.99 (2GB) "unlimited" data package (I should add that I bought a Tab also when it was released back in late 2010 on Amazon for $599.99 with no contract, only to sell it 4 days later much due to the price, to try and test it). Maybe this "new generation" communication and media device (Tablet) could fill my needs, I was anyhow already carrying another (sometimes called "magical" :)) smartphone in my other pocket in the same under 4" range size as the SK4G. Well after (once again) having tried to "haul" this 7" device around for a week or so, I do realize two things. First for me personally Android is easier to "get along with" when I have many physical buttons. Especially buttons I can customize and make do what I want. Also I must say that the Launcher Pro helps a lot. Secondly a 7" device is still a huge device and while it is fantastic size for viewing some types of media, it is a very large device for hauling with you always. So I decided I will be returning it (have yet to do so!).

So when I found that Sidekick 4G batteries (that on the Galaxy Tab is non removable but 4000 mAh and thereby over 2.5 times the SK4G battery capacity) are affordable and readily available on eBay for the Sidekick 4G with even stand alone chargers included it opened new doors of possibilities for me to have a Sidekick 4G after all. Then when I (as a last hope of staying with TMo and/or the SK platform) called TMo loyalty department and explained my needs and wants, and the person I spoke to told me about the $49.99 DATA ONLY (voice barred) hearing impaired plan then it was pretty clear that this would most likely work out for me.

This is when I called up my corporate store again to see if "my" Sidekick 4G was still there, I mean I felt it was only appropriate for me to take it back and use "it" since I had become this "wishy washy" person who didn't know what he wanted (in my own eyes!). Well long story short I was given a totally new phone. But not only that to my surprise (and joy) I was this time around treated to a $50 INSTANT REBATE in opposite to the MIR version on April 20th. Yet I was still able to split up the payments into monthly installments (interest free). So now I enjoy a $49.99/month plan, and this time I paid $55.49 "out-the-door" with sales tax of $30.50 (on a $329.77 "retail price"!?) and with another two payments of $24.99 that will appear on my monthly bills in the future.

While I am now pleased with my "out-the-door" and total purchase price for the Sidekick 4G and also the $49.99 data only package, I must say it puzzles me why after have "wasted" the (very same) rep's time now three times (1. Buying the SK4G 2. Returning the SK4G 3. Buying the SK4G again!) and being on a less expensive plan with TMo, why did I get a much better deal on the purchase price? It is ironic but that's how it turned out. In reality it is only a matter of an instant rebate vs. a MIR (mail in rebate). But still it makes a difference at the time of purchase. 


No comments:

Post a Comment